Changing the Internet Protocol (IP address) in Windows operating system is a common issue. It can be done from many different places, but it’s important to know what each one does so you don’t do more harm than good! In this article, we will discuss how to change the (Internet Protocol) address with Control Panel (CP) and Command Prompt (CMD). The steps are well explained for how to change IP address on Windows 10 operating system.
How to change the IP address on Windows 10( Settings)
To change the IP address in Windows 10 OS, access it from the Settings window.
Open Settings by pressing Windows + i.
When you are connected to an internet network, open Settings. Choose network from either Wi-Fi or Ethernet from the left sidebar menu.
Select the network you’re connected to.
Look for the network details. After that, you’ll see an option labeled as IP settings. Now click on the Edit button.
Select IPv4 or IPv6 IP (Internet Protocol) after selecting Manual and carefully enter the IP details.
- To set a static IP address, you need to insert/enter the specific details:
- Fill in a static IP address (Internet Protocol) that you need to use in windows 10 like 192.168.60.10.
- Subnet: Enter the subnet mask.
Gateway: Fill in your router’s IP for example 18.104.22.168 (or whatever your network gateway is).
For changing DNS and the alternate DNS, you will need to fill in all the top 3 sections. Once saved, your IP(Internet Protocol) address is modified by Windows, and preferred DNS, as well as alternate DNS, will be automatically filled.
How to change IP address on Windows 10 (Control panel)
The interface of Windows 10 is super easy and a user can easily change the IP address using the Control panel’s settings as well. Open your Control Panel & navigate to Network & Internet option.
Open the “Network & Sharing Center” then check your active internet.
In a new pop-up window click the properties.
After that click the Internet protocol(TCP/IPv4) /(TCP/IPv6) as per your needs.
Click on Properties.
Either you choose (TCP/IPv4 or TCP/IPv6) by clicking the properties you’ll be able to change the IP address.
The IP address settings window allows an option for a dynamically assigned IP address, but it’s only available when checking the “Obtain automatically” box.
If you need to change your IP address in Windows 10, either through Settings or by using the command line, enter the details such as subnet mask, default gateway, and IP address. Finally, click OK to save your settings.
How to change IP address on Windows 10 (CMD or Powershell)
If you work primarily in a CMD command-line, you can change the (Internet Protocol) IP address on your Windows 10 computer with either CMD or Powershell. If you’re not sure which console is most appropriate for you to use, run the command” netsh interface IP show config”. The results will display your network details then you can change your IP address against the Network adapter you’ve identified.
If you would like to use a dynamic IP address for your network connection run the command netsh interface IP set address followed by “Network Name” dhcp. You need to type your network name like netsh interface ip set address “Wi-Fi” dhcp.
For static IP run the command netsh interface IP set address name= “” Network Interface Name” static [IP Address] [Subnet Mask] [Gateway]. Enter all the valid details.
How do I manually change my IP address on Windows 10?
- Open settings application.
- Navigate to Network and Internet.
- Click on the Wi fi option in the side menu.
- Click on edit below the IP assignment.
- Edit network IP settings to Automatic DHCP and click SAVE.
- Switch on the IPV4 toggle.
- Enter your new IP address information and click save.
How do I change my IP address on Windows 10 using command prompt?
How do I release and renew IP address on windows 10?
- Open CMD from the strat menu.
- Type ipconfig/release in the command promt.
- Finally, type ipconfig/ renew and hit enter.
How do I change my IP address on windows 10 without a VPN?
- ipconfig/ release
How do I find my IP address on windows 10?
- Open the settings application.
- Navigate to Network and Internet.
- Then click on wifi from the side menu and select the network you’re connected to.
- Under properties check for the IPV4 label, your IP address will be mentioned next to it.
How to change IP address on windows10 using a VPN?
- We recommend our readers ExpressVPN.
- Download and Install the application on your device.
- Select a server of your choice from the given list.
- Clear cache and cookies in your browser and try to visit a blocked website or service.
Now you’re familiar with 3 different ways to change your IP address in the windows operating system and we have also guided you regarding static and dynamic IP address changes. These are the most common and legit methods used by IT professionals and daily users for their work or business needs. We believe after reading the above guide you will be pretty confident about how to change the IP address on windows 10.