Your IP address is a valuable piece of information. It can identify you online and give away your data and shopping habits. That’s why it’s important to hide your IP address with IP masking technology. In this blog post, we’ll discuss what IP masking is and how you can use it to protect your privacy online. If you need more information regarding IP addresses please read our detailed guide on how to find your IP address.
What is IP masking?
The goal of IP masking is to hide your IP address by using a counterfeit one. This is how masking your IP address works: they’re two equivalent phrases for the same thing. If you want to learn how to disguise your IP address, you can use the same methods described in this post. After all, the only way to conceal your IP address while still using the internet is to mask it with another one.
Because websites and services need to know who is making the requests and where to send the replies, your visitors will always require an IP address online. IP addresses are used by both servers and clients to communicate with each other.
How do I hide my IP address?
Whether you’re an expert or a neophyte, this page is the right spot for you. Don’t be alarmed, we’re not going to get too technical. That concludes our discussion of the IP address. If you’d like more technical information, be sure to read our guide on IP address fundamentals. That post is also simple to understand and written for anyone. We’ll go over 8 methods for masking your IP address in a hurry.
USE a VPN
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a software program that encrypts all of the information transmitted over the internet and sends it through a server in another location via a Virtual Private Network. A VPN server functions as a go-between for your device and the internet, so websites and online platforms see only the IP address of the VPN server rather than your own.
The majority of VPNs are subscription services that charge a few dollars per month to access hundreds or even thousands of servers in different countries. Simply download the software for your gadgets and you’re ready to go. With a few clicks, you may quickly cover your IP address after that.
Here’s how to hide your IP address:
- Firstly, check your IP address.
- Get a paid and reliable VPN. We suggest ExpressVPN.
- Download the VPN software from the website of Appstore or Play store.
- Install the VPN on your device.
- Open your VPN application,
- Choose a server from the list of available servers.
- Finally, click the connect button and you will get a new IP address.
ExpressVPN, for example, uses shared IP addresses by default, which means that all users connected to the same server are hidden behind the same IP address–that of the VPN server.
A virtual private network (VPN) that employs shared IP addresses effectively masks your true IP address while also making you indistinguishable from the other customers. Your activity on the internet cannot be linked back to a single person, providing you with a significant level of anonymity.
If you want to conceal your IP address, you’ll need a VPN with these characteristics:
- Private DNS servers – A domain name server (DNS) translates “howtofindyouripaddress.com” domain names into IP addresses that your device may utilize to communicate, much like a phone book for the internet. By default, you probably connect to your ISPs or Google’s DNS servers, which may see your IP address when you request a website even when using a VPN. Because of this, a Virtual Private Network (VPN) that runs its DNS servers is critical since it will never expose your IP address to a third party.
- Leak protection – VPNs are designed to protect all of your online data flowing in and out of your device, however, they sometimes leak. They expose your IP address when they leak. Get a VPN with DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak prevention built-in.
- Kill switch – If the VPN connection drops for whatever reason, the kill switch or network lock cuts off your entire device from the internet, preventing anything from being sent from your real IP address without the VPN’s protection.
- No-logs policy – Logs should not be kept or recorded by the VPN provider since they may be used to identify you.
Use a Proxy
A proxy server is a middleman that links your computer to the internet. Proxies connect your web browser to internet services such as websites and software-as-a-service (SaaS) platforms, allowing you to make your internet more private and secure while also potentially improving its speed.
Proxies do not usually include DNS traffic, so your website requests still go to a third-party DNS server that may view your real IP address. Even if you use a VPN with leak protection, you may still have issues. Furthermore, if the proxy connection goes down for whatever reason, your actual IP address could be exposed.
Proxies are not as safe as VPNs when it comes to man-in-the-middle assaults, because they don’t provide the authentication of VPNs. In a man-in-the-middle attack, an attacker may impersonate the proxy server to steal your data.
Here is how to set up a PC, Mac, or browser so you can utilize a proxy server to your advantage. Or, get a VPN to secure all your internet traffic.
Set up a proxy on Windows
- On Windows 8 or 10, here is how to set up your computer to utilize a proxy server:
- Press the Windows + I keys to open Windows settings.
- On Windows, click Settings followed by Network & Internet followed by Proxy. On Windows 8, click Settings followed by Network Proxy.
- Below the Manual Setup portion, set the “Use a Proxy Server” button ON.
- By default, Windows will attempt to connect automatically to a proxy server in the network if one is already active. Windows indicates its name and enables you to track its instructions if it identifies the file.
- If Windows finds a PAC file in the Automatic Proxy Setup, use it by flipping the Use Setup Script switch to On.
Set up a proxy on a MAC
- On a Mac running macOS 10.15 Catalina, here is how to configure a proxy server using Safari. Other versions of macOS may be protected using the same methods.
- First, open system preferences.
- Select the Network.
- Now choose the type of internet you are using.
- Now navigate to Advanced and then settings.
- Select Auto Proxy Discovery to have your proxy server settings automatically configured. Select Secure Web Proxy (HTTPS) from the drop-down menu. Fill in the address and port number of the proxy server in the boxes on the right.
- To use the PAC file, select Automatic Proxy configuration and fill in the proxy address in the given URL space.
- If your proxy server is secured by the credentials, select the “Proxy server requires” option. Enter your details in the given fields.
- Finally, save the settings.
Setup proxy on Android
For each network you utilize with the Android operating system, you should set proxy settings. In expansion, the proxy will only be utilized by your browser. Many online apps may choose to utilize or bypass the proxy depending on their preferences. This is another advantage of VPNs: they protect your entire internet traffic.
- Open wifi settings to view the list of networks.
- press and hold the Wi-Fi network for which you need to change the proxy configurations. Tap on Modify Network.
- Long press wifi network to change proxy settings then press Modify network.
- Now navigate to Advanced options.
- Tap Manual to change the settings of Proxy. Add in your proxy port and hostname.
- If you have a Proxy Auto-Config (PAC) file, select Proxy Auto-Config, and Android will prompt you to enter the PAC address.
- If you got a PAC file, choose Proxy Auto-Config and Android will give you the option to add a PAC address.
- Finally, save the settings.
Setup proxy on iPhone
- Navigate to WIFI.
- Choose the connection you are currently connected to.
- Tap on Configure Proxy under the option HTTP proxy.
- Now Tap Manual to change the Proxy settings.
- Navigate back to the Wi-Fi window.
Tor is a censorship-resistant worldwide anonymity network run by hundreds of volunteers. Your internet traffic is encrypted and routed via a random sequence of these volunteer “nodes,” which are sort of like proxy servers when you connect to Tor. The IP address of the last server in the chain, known as the exit node, is visible only to websites.
The structure of a website’s nodes changes each time you go there. You may eliminate any track to the actual IP address by using a VPN. This makes it nearly impossible to trace activity back to its source.
The Tor Browser is a web browser that includes the anonymity service. The easiest method to use Tor is to download and install it. It’s a lightweight and entirely free browser that resembles Chrome or Firefox (or any other basic browser).
There are, however, disadvantages. Tor is sluggish and unsuitable for torrenting or streaming–only use it for web surfing. Tor is also sometimes connected to criminal activity, owing in part to its usage on the darknet and black market sites. Some websites block connections from known Tor nodes, and your Internet service provider may investigate.
Request ISP to change the address
Your ISP is the one who determines which IP address goes where. So, if you want to alter your IP address for whatever reason, give them a call. If you want to access your account, you’ll need the following information: your username and password, as well as your current IP address.
It shouldn’t be difficult to obtain a new IP address, but don’t expect it to remain the same. Your IP address, on the other hand, will likely alter from time to time as a result of this. These are known as dynamic IP addresses.
A static IP address does not change, but there may be an application procedure and a surcharge.
Unplug the router
This isn’t a sure thing, but if you unplug your internet modem and then replug it back in, you may frequently obtain a new IP address. When your Internet service provider terminates your connection, it recycles your old IP address. You’ll be given a new IP address when you reconnect.
The longer you leave the modem disconnected, the more likely it is to succeed. If you must, try leaving it unplugged overnight. To get this working, your ISP must provide dynamic IP addresses. Most do.
Use a different Network
Your IP address changes whenever you switch networks. If you’re concerned that your IP address has been compromised, blocked, or investigated, you may transfer networks to acquire a new one.
You may connect to a public or private wifi network, or utilize your smartphone’s mobile data connection. As a result, if you connect your router to the internet, your traffic will be vulnerable and hackable.
If you connect to the internet using a wireless router, there’s a good chance you’re behind a NAT firewall. In its most basic form, a NAT firewall allows several devices on the same network to utilize the same public IP address, but distinct private IP addresses. The router’s private IP addresses are mapped to its public IP address, which then forwards queries and data from the private IP addresses of individual devices to their online destinations. This saves address space (the number of IP addresses) while also preventing unwanted inbound communication with potentially harmful computers on the internet.
A NAT firewall does not obscure your public IP address, but it does conceal your private IP address. All devices connected to a NAT-enabled router will have a common public IP address. The NAT firewall blocks any non-directed internet traffic that isn’t part of a response to a request you made from a private IP address. Other requests and data packets are ignored since they don’t have a private IP address to which they can be forwarded.
Renew your IP address
If you’re connected to an internet router by either wifi or ethernet cable, you’ve almost certainly got a private (or local) IP address. It’s not particularly essential to keep this IP address a secret when you’re online, but you may need to alter it from time to time.
To get started, go to your Windows Command Prompt or Mac Terminal and type a few simple commands.
Renew IP on Windows:
- Open Command prompt with administrator rights.
- Type ipconfig /release
- Type ipconfig /renew
The new local IP address should now be visible.
Renew IP on Mac:
- Open system Preferences.
- Choose Network
- Select the Network you are currently connected to.
- Click Advanced.
- Select the TCP/IP tab.
- Choose the TCP/IP tab.
- Finally, choose Renew DHCP Lease
Your Mac has a new, unique private IP address.
Why should I hide my IP address?
Although your IP address is technically assigned to you and no one else, it can be detected by any website or online service that you visit. When you return to a website, the service may keep track of you. Because of this, it may use profiling to determine what you’re interested in on its site.
The site also uses your IP address to determine which country you are in, allowing it to implement geo-restrictions. It’s also possible that some Netflix users in other countries don’t have access to the same content as you. This might result in you being locked out of its service while on vacation or receiving different material in various areas (as is the case with Netflix).
Finally, if you engage in P2P activities such as torrenting, it’s critical to hide your IP address. Other internet users can view your home IP when you connect directly to them via P2P. You could be vulnerable to hackers who are also part of the swarm and may scan your IP for security flaws such as open ports if you torrent without using a VPN, for example.
You can prevent assaults from other internet users by disguising your IP address with a VPN, which removes the danger of them exploiting security holes or launching DDoS assaults (something that may occur if you play competitive games)
What Happens if you mask your IP address?
This data collection is prevented by hiding your IP address. When you use a VPN, your ISP can only tell that you’ve linked to a network. Your ISP can’t see anything after that, which includes your searches and the new IP address you’ve been assigned.
Why do people hide their IP addresses?
People from all over the world can access the Internet, but some governments restrict what their people can find online. Some even use the Internet to spy on communications among their citizens. You can also use a VPN to avoid eavesdropping and bypass most, if not all, government censorship techniques by hiding your IP address.
Can IP address be masked?
To conceal your IP address, you can employ one of two strategies: Using a virtual private network (VPN) or a proxy server, you can access blocked sites. IP address hiding is the most popular technique used by customers to hide their IP addresses using virtual private networks (VPNs).
How do I hide my IP address on my iPhone?
The option to Hide IP Addresses from Trackers should be enabled by default on your iPhone if it is running iOS 15 or higher.
- Navigate to Settings
- Then Safari
- Now check for “Privacy and security Option and select hide IP address.
How do I hide my IP address on Android?
To protect yourself from IP address surveillance, use a VPN. The ideal method to hide your IP address on Android is to use a virtual private network. An Android app that connects to a VPN encrypts all of the data that leaves your smartphone before it enters another network by installing an app on it.
Best VPNs to hide your IP address
Below is some best value for money VPNs to hide your IP address.
Secure VPN has a built-in IP leak prevention that protects you from inadvertently revealing your real IP address. No leaks were discovered when we tested four U.S. and three UK servers, which meant that my actual IP address was always hidden. Not only does it protect your identity, but it also keeps you safe from ISP and government tracking by hiding your IP address. It runs its private DNS servers, adheres to an audited and verified no-logs policy, and employs its TrustedServer technology, all of which guarantee that the VPN stores no identifiable information.
CyberGhost has 8,002 servers in 91 countries and includes some NoSpy servers. In addition to strong encryption and safe connections, the CyberGhost servers are located in Romania and are protected by removing the third party. It’s difficult to detect IP leaks without a tool like this. This implies that your real IP address will not be revealed unintentionally.
Is it possible to hide an IP address in a VM?
A virtual machine is a PC within a computer that runs independently of the host system. It’s the only function of this component that isn’t a hoax. It merely functions as a virtual barrier between the host operating system and the guest operating system. A Virtual Private Network (VPN) will not conceal your IP address. A Virtual Private Network, on the other hand, may be used to hide your IP address.
Frequently asked questions
Should I hide my IP address?
How can I make the IP address Untraceable?
How can I trace a masked IP address?
How do I hide my IP address for free?
Is hiding your IP address illegal?
How do I hide my IP address on google chrome?
We hope you loved reading our guide on what is IP masking. In this guide, we have mentioned a lot of details regarding how you can mask your IP address in order to ensure your privacy online and protect yourself from data leakage. Moreover, we have mentioned some other free and simple methods as well if you don’t feel like configuring so many settings right now.